Vivo City
Vivo City is a shopping area just outside of Sentosa and the last chance to get cheap food before entering the touristy island. Laura had recommended a bunch of things to get at the Vivo City food court and we knocked off quite a few of the items. Our lunch consisted of Hainanese chicken, pork sandwiches, fishball soup and sugar cane juice. This meal topped the first day's lunch as the best meal of the trip. It was raining hard after we ate, so we hung out in Vivo City for about another hour just browsing shops. The regular mall shops were very American along with the prices. So I didn't end up buying anything. There were tons of phone and tablet accessories, but nothing wildly exotic that I couldn't find online. There were many interesting food stands throughout the mall, but I was too full to get anything else.
Sentosa
After the rain died down, we took the boardwalk over to Sentosa. It was a scenic route that allowed me to take nice pictures along the way. Sentosa was just what we expected... pretty much a touristy amusement park, but still worth visiting for a few hours just to get some pictures and say we were there.
Marina Bay Sands
We left Sentosa around 4:30pm, checked back at the hotel and then headed off to Marina Bay Sands Hotel. The others had gone there the night before while I was with Wing. Apparently, you have to go on the $50 tour in order to go up to the famous roof deck. Even then, they don't allow you go go in the infinity pool unless you're a guest. We just stayed on the outside, which already provided some interesting camera shots.
Orchard Street
Jiselle wanted to get a preview of shopping for tomorrow, so we headed to Orchard Street after MBS. We had dinner at another Food Republic, this time at the top floor of a Somerset mall. The food stands were similar, but we got a chance to try more different things. I went for Wing's recommendation on the oyster omelet. This is something available in NY, but tastes better in Singapore. After dinner, we checked out the shops in the same building. It was more of the same for me... lots of accessories, nothing that special... no interesting gift items. I made note of the SMRT stop in case we got lost. We then headed out. Jiselle went to H&M while the rest of us went to Courts, Singapore's famous electronics/appliance store. They had a great selection of computer equipment. The prices weren't that good though... about the same as US, but with the tax break. I just wasn't looking for anything, but got to try out the ASUS U36 laptop I always wanted (I didn't end up getting this because my office already provided me with a Macbook Pro).
So that was another complete day where we covered a lot of ground in a short period of time
No comments:
Post a Comment