Friday, June 5, 2009

The Blond Giraffe

...All Things Key Lime and Coconut!

Location: 511 Greene Street, Key West, FL
Cuisine: Dessert, Cafe
Phone: (888) 874-PIES
Website: www.blondgiraffe.com
Prices: $7/person
Credit Cards: All major

Food: 7
Service: 5
Value: 7
Environment: 8

Frequency: Unique

Most of our group continued checking out the shops, but Ifore and I broke off and headed to a cafe that served key lime pie. We had already passed by many places, mostly food stands that served it. Then we came across The Blond Giraffe, a nice little sitdown cafe. It was empty and didn't even look open, but we went for it because they had a free wi-fi. It turned out that The Blond Giraffe was one of the better known places. As we ate there, we read a pamphlet on the Key West port and this place served an award-winning key lime pie as seen on Food Network 20!


The pies were great. I was expecting an overly strong lime flavor. I normally don't like key lime pie, but since it was a big deal in Key West, I wanted to give it a shot. It actually tasted good and natural, unlike the artificial neon green variety you can get at any dessert place. I also tried their limeade, which was pretty strong.

The only quirk about The Blond Giraffe was they ran out of limeade. I ordered the last one, but it was obvious that we were the first customers of the day!

No comments: