Saturday, May 21, 2011

Serendipity (for Dessert)

Location: 225 East 60th St., New York, NY
Cuisine: American
Hours: SUN-THU (11:30am-12am); FRI (11:30am-1am); SAT (11:30am-2am)
Phone: (212) 838-3531
Website: www.serendipity3.com
Prices: $20/person
Credit Cards: All major

Food: 8
Service: 4
Value: 7
Environment: 2

Frequency: Unique

Ifore has gone to Serendipity the last couple of times he visited NY, so it's a little weird that today was my first time there. I got to the area a little earlier and there were people waiting outside, but it looked like people were leaving and entering at short intervals. So I didn't think the wait was going to be that long. When we all arrived (party of 4), they told us it was a 1 hour wait. We went shopping and came back in an hour. We were then told it was a 20 minute wait... followed by another 20 minute wait. Another party that had just arrived was told their wait would be 2 hours. So long waits are normal for this place.


Even though the wait time is known, I factored that into the service rating. Waiters weren't really that friendly and were pretty slow. The food we had was good and the portions justified to some extent the high prices. The desserts were unique too. This is not a place I would come back to as a native New Yorker, unless I had out of town guests. While the food was good, it wasn't worth the 1 hour and 40 minute wait.

The environment is extremely crowded and uncomfortable. No matter where they seat you, you will be next to a a stranger. There's no elbow room at all. If you have a party of 2, you'll be at a table for 1. There's no space to walk around because the place is always full and there are tourists shopping for souvenirs at the front, conveniently blocking the entrance.

No comments: