Thursday, May 5, 2011

Heading Out

Airport Security
Because the recent death of Osama Bin Laden, we were told security was stepped up. The limo service recommended we head out 3 hours early (since it's international) for our 8:30am flight. Between that and last night's Bulls game, I really didn't get that much sleep. Since it was way before rush hour, we arrived at JFK in no time. If anything, security was stepped down instead of beefed up. I've never gone through so quickly with all the electronics I carry around in my suspicious looking Alienware backpack. Some notable observations I had were:

1) Passengers had to do a lot of their own work. Usually, you would put your checkins on the scale and a worker would carry it onto the belt. We had to go around the service desk and place it on the belt ourselves. So the guys behind the desk aren't earning their salary. They're just doing nothing. Why not get rid of them to save money for the people doing the real work!

2) The security checkpoint was terrible. My dad put his keys in his bag instead of on the tray. The TSA had to manually search the bag because she thought the keys may have been knives. Is the X-ray machine THAT bad? If it can't show the difference between keys and knives, then that doesn't make me feel safe.

Jet Blue
This is my first time flying Jet Blue and so far they're really as good as what people say. Right from the start, their terminal is spacious and well laidout. They even have FREE wi-fi. I don't think any other airline in expensive NY has that. It was hassle free and fast. All I did was turn on my computer and agree to the terms. Jet Blue also has 1 checkin included, which made for a more comfortable and quicker boarding. Passengers didn't have to rush on board to reserve space in the overhead compartments. Snacks onboard were also complimentary. Jet Blue pretty much follows the pre-recession flight benefits.

No comments: