Friday, May 2, 2008

Alien vs. Predator: Requiem

Story: 6
Action: 6
Acting: 7
FX: 7
Durability: 7
Special Features: 7

I rarely buy movies without seeing them first, but went for this one because I liked the original AVP. I also figured that any movie with both the Alien and Predator in it would at least have OK special effects even if the acting was bad. The story picked up where AVP left off, but the atmosphere is completely different. It doesn't take place on an alien site, but right in the middle of a town in Colorado. It certainly made it more interesting that way and gave it a sense of realism. One complain regarding continuity is that Alexa Woods (Sanaa Lathan) from AVP wasn't in it. If there were creatures like this running around, and news got out, there would be some connection to the incident in the first movie. Requiem takes place immediately after it too.

The action was OK, but I expected more. I wanted to see more rumbling between the Predator, Aliens and Predalien. It also would've been nice to have more than one Predator, like in the first movie. I felt that there was too much screen time given to the humans. The title isn't Humans vs. Aliens after all. The effects were pretty good, but again, I expected more. A sequel should always top its predecessor and I don't think Requiem did the job.

The special features on the DVD were very complete. It has 2 commentary tracks and a handful of featurettes. I ended up getting the 2-disc special edition DVD Tuesday, which included a digital copy on the 2nd disc. I installed it on my PC in WMV format and on my Mac in iTunes and both versions look great. Hopefully more DVD releases in the future include this option.

2 comments:

Lisa said...

so would you be the alien or the predator? heh

Kerwin said...

That's a tough question because they're both pretty cool. I'd have to go with Predator though because they spend their lives making building strength and skills. They also have a technologically advanced society... standards I try to live up to as a human. The Alien is a killer out of animal instinct. Its purpose is to survive and multiply with no emotional value for its actions. How about you?