Saturday, May 24, 2008

Halifax

Based on the map of Halifax, many of the historical sites were within walking distance, so we didn't need to hail a cab or sign up for a tour. We did things at our own pace. Things started out slowly because there was a sign saying "FREE gift," pointing Del Sol. Our group was made up mostly of shoppers, so they were magnetically pulled into the store. After that, our first stop was the Art Gallery of Nova Scotia. We were just passing by, but they had some pretty nice sculptures on the outside and in the lobby area. Our next stop was Scotia Square Mall where everyone went shopping for souvenirs and sale items. The mall was empty... like much of the downtown area and it was a Saturday! Halifax must really depend on tourism to make profits.


After the mall, we visited the Town Clock of Halifax for scenic picture taking. We parted ways from there. My parents, aunts & uncles headed back to the boardwalk for shopping and planned to have a late lunch back at the ship. They're not as into the vacation for the 5 senses as the younger generation. Emily, Edwin, I4 & I headed off in search of local cuisine... lobsters & haddock. We settled on McKelvie's, which I will review in a separate post following this one.

After lunch, we went souvenir shopping at the boardwalk & the port shops. I couldn't really find the right items to buy. I always look for something that represents the city, but isn't cheesey. I stay away from t-shirts and shot glasses and tend to look for local crafts. I ended up getting a DVD & book about Nova Scotia. Since a 1-day stopover is a bit of a rush for a major city, I wanted to get more info.

The rest of the afternoon was free was we got back around 3:30pm. I went to the gym for a workout and jogged a mile immediately after. We had dinner at King's Court again. With about an hour 'til the NBA Eastern Conference Finals, Game 3, a bunch of us walked around QM2, looking for nice spots to take pictures. During halftime, we had a late night supper.

Be sure to click on the slideshow to access the Picasa Web album as I have written comments for individual photos.

1 comment:

Lisa said...

OHH! i remember halifax from doing geocodes!