Monday, December 20, 2010

Batman Arkham Asylum Controls for PC

Since my desktop is now an all-powerful gaming system, I thought I would try out some of the games I had on PS3 for comparison. If it was even possible, the graphics for Batman Arkham Asylum were actually better. There are a lot of little extra details not in the console version of the game, like spider webs that get knocked down in the ventilation shafts, extra particles when Batman rips vents off and background objects breaking during fights. Also, the movements are much smoother and of course... it can be played at 1080p.

But the all of the improvements of PC versions in general, the one thing I always hated is play controls. No game is ready to go once you open the package as with console games. You have to configure your gamepad, which often involves a lot of hacking. I looked all over the internet to see how people were doing it for this game. I didn't find a single complete instruction set, so I decided to make one. You'll need a Logitech Rumble Pad 2 USB.

1) Plug your gamepad into a USB port and go with all of the generic drivers used by Windows... don't install any Logitech software. Batman Arkham Asylum will detect the controller and apply some kind of XBox 360 emulation for it. This pretty much gives you all the functions in the game, but they're all scrambled if you're a PS3 gamer. And the controls are inverted.

2) What you have to do it go into C:\Program Files\Eidos\Batman Arkham Asylum\BmGame\Config\ and edit a few lines in DefaultInput.ini. I already did this for you. Just click here to download. Then overwrite the one in the /Config directory.

I basically found the lines for controlling movement and also swapped buttons 1 & 4 and 2 & 3. You should be ready to play now!

No comments: