Sunday, December 13, 2009

Curry Leaves

Location:135-31 40th Rd., Flushing, NY 11355
Cuisine: Malaysian
Hours: Daily (11am-11pm)
Phone: (718) 762-9313
Prices: about $15/person
Credit Cards: Cash only

Food: 9
Service: 7
Value: 8
Environment: 5

Frequency: Unique

Emily's family birthday celebration is usually in Sentosa, but we thought we'd give a different local Malaysian restaurant a try for comparison. We noticed it while eating at Corner 28 one day. It turned out to be a bad day to eat out since it was raining the whole time and we had 3 cars total going there. The rain didn't stop the Flushing crowd either... and it didn't stop us!


The first thing I noticed when I walked in was the small tables. I was wondering how they were going to fit 10 of us at their 8-person table. Instead of putting a couple tables together, they squeezed us in. We had a reservation and the place wasn't crowded, so they had all the time in the world to do a custom arrangement. They brought out all of the dishes at once and had trouble fitting everything. It was difficult to eat until we got rid of a few dishes. There was no elbow room and we had to pass around everything. The restaurant had nice decor and was very clean, so I counted the experience with the large group we had against the environment rating. I don't recommend this place for parties of 8 or more. You're better off paying a little more for Sentosa. For parties under 8, this place is great though.

The service was OK. Our teapot was never empty, but they never changed our plates in the middle of the meal. Many of the items were saucy and some dishes had bones. So there was limited space to eat unless they changed our plates like they do in many Chinese restaurants.

For more information on the food, please visit the Picasa album.

No comments: