Sunday, March 30, 2008

Uncle Albert's Puzzles

After our day-long Manhattan walking tour, we relaxed at Uncle Albert's house where Auntie Anita spent the day preparing a nice home-cooked meal. Besides the eating, there was the usual picture taking and playing with Wesley. The highlight of the night was problem solving though. Uncle Albert gave us 2 puzzles to solve. The first is depicted to the upper left of this post. There are 9 dots and it's possible to connect all 9 with 4 straight, consecutive lines (4 strokes w/o lifting your pen). It took about 30 minutes, but Jeremy put us on the right track and I ended up finishing it off. In the second puzzle, one person had a string tying both wrist together. Then a second person would have the same setup except his/her string would be looped through the first person's. Supposedly, there's a way to maneuver out without untying the wrists. Jeremy sort of solved this one, but I'll explain both of these puzzle answers in a future post. I want to give you guys a chance to solve these before I spoil it!

No comments: