Saturday, January 16, 2010

Satay Malaysian (Flushing)

Location: 46-01 Kissena Blvd., Flushing, NY
Cuisine: Malaysian
Hours: SUN-FRI (11am-11pm); SAT (11am-11:30pm)
Phone: (718) 888-1868
Prices: about $15/person
Credit Cards: All major

Food: 9
Service: 9
Value: 8
Environment: 6

Frequency: Unique (for Flushing chain)

We haven't seem Uncle Bock and Auntie Kim since before the holidays, so they invited us to dinner tonight. They knew we liked Sentosa and attempted to try a new Malaysian restaurant in Curry Leaves, so we tried out their favorite... Satay. I thought nothing of the name when I first walked in. "Satay" is a generic word with Malaysian food, so I didn't realize this was the same chain as the restaurant I eat at all the time at work in Hoboken until I picked up their business card at the end. The storefront looked completely different, but the business card was exactly the same.


Overall, the food is about equal to Sentosa. Some dishes were better here and others were better there. But the average portion size for the price gives Satay the edge. For more information on individual dishes, check out the Picasa album.

Service was good based on this one visit, but it was hard to tell if it's like this all the time or if it was just because Uncle Bock and Auntie Kim were regulars. Uncle Bock had to request them to bring appetizers first and wait a while before the main courses, suggesting that they normally rush everything out at once. They were fast in clearing finished plates and refilling the tea. Switching our dinner plates came at the right time and the waiter often asked how things were. So I got a good impression from the staff.

The environment was OK. The restaurant area was fairly clean, but could use an interior designer. In contrast, the Hoboken chain looks very nice. The bathrooms were a bit rundown. Signs to get to them could've been better.

No comments: