Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Playstation 3

A couple of weeks ago I caved in and bought a Playstation 3. I sort of wanted to get it since the beginning of last year when I read about Street Fighter IV, but was still hesitant because of the price and I didn't really think I'd have time for games. Street Fighter IV came out on February 17 and I ended up getting the PS3 a week later because Ben found a pretty good sale at Dell. I had no idea they even sold it there. It was a whopping $80 off the $400 price tag and too good a deal to resist.

My first impression was that the system felt a lot more like a computer than a gaming console. You can't just plug it in and start playing games. There's a lot to customize and accounts to setup. The great thing about it is you can do a lot without even buying a game. The Playstation network is a world of its own with media downloads and game demos. This system is perfect for someone like me who doesn't have time to play full games. The demos are just right and they're free. Sometimes I just like to pop in a game to mess around... not really with the goal of winning it. With PS2, I would just fight a few rounds in Capcom vs. SNK 2 or drive around in Gran Turismo 2.

The built-in Blu-ray was a big plus that made me choose this system over XBox 360. At first, I didn't want to jump aboard the bandwagon because I don't think the format will survive, but after we hooked up a 52" 1080p TV at my parents' house, I got addicted to the high resolution. I started watching all of my favorite movies over again on TNT.

No comments: