Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Ben & Jerry's FREE Cone Day

Times Square Scoop Shop

Location: 680 8th Ave., New York, NY 10036
Cuisine: Ice Cream
Phone: (212) 221-1001
Prices: FREE

Food: 9
Service: 7
Value: 10 (because it was a FREE event)
Environment: 7

Frequency: Uncommon

Ben & Jerry's gives away free cones every year on their birthday, March 29. I've missed it every year, but finally went today. The difference... I'm a late user of Facebook. I signed up for all possible stores, restaurants and snack places that might send out promotions and event notifications.

After work, I made a detour and got off on the Times Square stop just to swing by and take a look. The line wasn't as long as I thought it would be and I was in no rush, so I just got on it. The employees did a great job of conducting the event. Two of them kept the line in order. One handed out napkins and another held up a sign that listed the available flavors. There were 5 or 6 scoopers who worked very efficiently. My stomach wanted either mint chocolate chunk or sweet cookies & cream, but those were normal flavors. I ended up going for one that I haven't had yet... cake batter. I figured it would be some variation of cookie dough, but it tasted a lot better... like a cold vanilla and chocolate cake. It produced an interesting sensation because our brains don't normally associate the cake taste with the ice cream texture & temperature. After getting my cone, I had to find a nice open spot on the sidewalk. The cone was stuffed so high that I wasn't going anywhere far without the ice cream ending up on the street or my clothes. That was a fun after work treat in the middle of the week.

Happy 30th Birthday, Ben & Jerry!

1 comment:

Lisa said...

i didn't get a chance to stop by but baskin robbins is doing their 31 cents a day thingy today!