Thursday, December 13, 2007

Adjusting to the Flow

The part I hate most about long vacations, particularly ones to Asia is the recovery time upon return. I don't do well with jet lag when I'm back home. It's been over a week since I got back and I still feel its effects. It's more than just the sleep too. My body seems to malfunction in many ways. I usually get sick because my immune system feels weakened. I also get cold in temperatures that I'm normally OK in.

Philippines has its quirks. It's hot, damp and smelly. The hotel I was in was in the process of being built and my schedule was extremely busy. But in the end, I would much rather be hanging out with my extended family than battling through NYC rush hour. Perhaps this adds to why I get jet lag on the way back, but not when I head West.

Unfortunately, the pains and effects of the return trip are what get stuck in my mind when I think of vacations to Asia. And it makes me reluctant to make another trip soon even though it's paradise once I get there.

No comments: