It feels weird to skip Thanksgiving. This is the first year that I can remember that we're not celebrating it. It's the only way to get a trip to Asia while cutting down on vacation day usage though. Right now, I'm at the airport with my parents, waiting for our flight to the Philippines on Eva Air. Most of my family is headed there for my cousin, Christine's wedding on December 1. My sister, EM is already there. She headed there a week earlier so she could include side trips to Thailand and Cambodia. I also have 2 pairs of uncles/aunts heading out from NY & Boston after Thanksgiving.
The flight is surprisingly full for Thanksgiving night. Check-in went by at a normal pace... no problems. The security checkpoint was a mess though. Laptops needed to be in a separate bin. So I ended up with 3 items... 1) backpack; 2) laptop & 3) bin with miscellaneous items. Of the 3 of us, they chose my mom to be patted down. Whenever I travel with my family, security never checks me. Usually, it's my dad they get. It's ironic because I'm by far more suspicious than my parents. I'm almost fully covered in black, including gloves, hat and hood. My backpack is filled with electronics that security guards have never seen before. Any one of those items could easily be a bomb component. Yet I never get searched. One other thing... if my laptop has to be taken out of the bag, then passed through the x-ray, then I lack confidence in the ability of the x-ray machine to protect my security.
No comments:
Post a Comment