Friday, March 9, 2012

Alyssa Goldenblade: Amalur Edition

RPG Resume
Alyssa Goldenblade was a D&D character I created ages ago and makes video game appearances in any fantasy themes RPG that allows players to create their own characters. She's a combination of the Unearthed Arcana, Oriental Adventures and Dragonlance campaigns and made her video game debut in the first true RPG for NES, Ultima III: Exodus. That was the first game that had character creation where players could choose classes and distribute points to various attributes. In Ultima, Alyssa was a paladin, the closest thing to a knight. Then came the AD&D PC games, Champions of Krynn, Death Knights of Krynn and Dark Queen of Krynn where I was able to create Alyssa the way she was meant to be, as a Knight of the Rose. It was in that series that I promoted her to leader of the party because she rolled the highest HPs of all my characters. Strategically, it was better to put the highest HP characters in the front of the line.

Kingdoms of Amalur
All of Alyssa Goldenblade's appearances were previously in multi-character RPGs, so Kingdoms of Amalur is her first solo role. I usually create my main character, Shadow Dragon for solo RPGs, but couldn't really find a character combination that looked like him for the game. But there was a perfect combination to make an Alyssa with slightly shorter hair. I also wanted to make a female character for a couple of reasons. The sprite is smaller than the bulky males. They say that the 2 are equal, but I've taken more hits as a male character while trying out the demo... even died 3x. The other thing is that many of the enemies are female and the ways you can kill in the game are very gruesome. I would have a problem doing that as a male character. Currently, Alyssa is at level 33. I have most of the ability points allocated to "might" since she's a knight primarily. I also powered up the "finesse" weapons proficiencies in longbows and faeblades and the "mage" weapons in sceptres and chakrams... pretty much the way she was meant to be. In Dragonlance the Knights of Solamnia had some spellcasting ability. And the "finesse" abilities mix in her ninja skills from Oriental Adventures.

No comments: