Sunday, November 16, 2008

Aladdin

A True Classic

Every month in church, the priest plans out a Children's lesson. This was a new thing starting last month. He would talk about a popular children's movie and connect the moral of the story to something in life or a Bible teaching. Today's choice was Aladdin and how the title character learned to trust and believe in himself. What actually amazed me was the movie choice and how all of the kids in mass were able to answer the priest's questions about the movie's characters and plot. Why? Aladdin was released in 1992 and was a huge hit. And now, 16 years later, every kid still knows it.

Back in 1992, I was a junior in high school and bought the collector's edition of Aladdin because I was starting to study animation. At the time, it, along with Beauty and the Beast were revolutionary in American animation. They were smooth, multi-layer and made use of computer graphics. I'm glad this classic story and important part of computer art history is living on in the next generation.

No comments: