Saturday, August 2, 2008

Dragonboat 2008

The Hong Kong Dragon Boat Festival was a little different for me this year. Auntie Janice's cousin, Michael didn't participate, so she didn't come with me. Emily was also busy. Charlotte also had some schedule conflicts, but I hope she still finds time to go either later today or tomorrow so I can link to her professional shots. I went by myself early in the morning... around 9:40 and it was already pretty crowded. I got a chance to walk around to all of the booths and take a lot more photos than I normally do. The weather worked to my favor, pouring on before I arrived and right after I left... what luck! Unfortunately, the sky was gray for the entire time, so the photos don't look as vibrant.


I didn't spend too much time watching the races since Michael wasn't in it. Instead, I mostly walked around the festival area and looked for good camera angles. One of the things that amazed me is each sponsor is setup in exactly the same place every year... even the food stands. They're lined up in the same place and same order.

I mentioned that it's best to get food at Main St. instead of getting ripped off at the festival, but I actually tried out a few things just so I could review them. Details can be found in the Picasa album for this post. Just click on Dragonboat 2008 on the lower left of the slideshow.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey Kerwin,

I'm sorry that I missed it this year but look forward to next year's. Maybe you can join the dumpling eating contest - you got a year to train! Looks like you were able to cover the event pretty well and yes, it was lucky that you didn't get caught in the downpour. I agree with the observation that food at the fair is pretty expensive and not really noteworthy, though free Starbucks is pretty good (mind the 'lil grandmas elbowing you for freebies). Since Main St. is a bus ride away, it's best to either eat before or after the event.

Kerwin said...

I heard the same guy that won the dumpling contest last year repeated this year... 66 in a minute! There's no way I can come close to that. It's only worth it to enter if you can at least get runner up ($500).

I think Starbucks was prepared this year. They must've told their staff to watch out for the crazy grannies. I was more orderly.

Unknown said...

Hey Kerwin,

I am getting excited reading this blog and thinking about "Dragonboat 2009". We all need to meet and celebrate this year's event.

If you want, I will provide the food/snacks from Chinatown. Just say the word.