When I last left off on my Windows XP/OS X Leopard dualboot netbook, everything was functional except for the wi-fi on the OS X side. Most instructions I came across mentioned a hardware swap of the internal 802.11n card. I went as far as doing a trial run of this just to see how far I had to dig to get to the wi-fi card. On the ASUS Eee PC 1000HE, it's surprisingly hard to get to. You seriously have to take apart the entire machine, including part of the monitor. So I backed up on that idea and put everything back together. I don't think it's worth the risk. There's actually a much simpler solution that none of the sites mention and I hadn't thought about it initially either... a Mac OS X compatible external USB dongle! There aren't many of these out there and of course it's ideal to find one of those new ones that has a short dongle. I did find one on Amazon for just under $15 (AirLink101 AWLL5088) and now I have wi-fi on the OS X half of the netbook. Since it has the short dongle, it's pretty much just as good as an internal one. It doesn't stick out and I don't have to remove it when I pack up the machine.
Friday, July 1, 2011
Wireless Eee Macbook
When I last left off on my Windows XP/OS X Leopard dualboot netbook, everything was functional except for the wi-fi on the OS X side. Most instructions I came across mentioned a hardware swap of the internal 802.11n card. I went as far as doing a trial run of this just to see how far I had to dig to get to the wi-fi card. On the ASUS Eee PC 1000HE, it's surprisingly hard to get to. You seriously have to take apart the entire machine, including part of the monitor. So I backed up on that idea and put everything back together. I don't think it's worth the risk. There's actually a much simpler solution that none of the sites mention and I hadn't thought about it initially either... a Mac OS X compatible external USB dongle! There aren't many of these out there and of course it's ideal to find one of those new ones that has a short dongle. I did find one on Amazon for just under $15 (AirLink101 AWLL5088) and now I have wi-fi on the OS X half of the netbook. Since it has the short dongle, it's pretty much just as good as an internal one. It doesn't stick out and I don't have to remove it when I pack up the machine.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment