Sunday, July 10, 2011

Driving Simulator

Originally, I said to myself that I wasn't going to go crazy and setup a steering wheel for Gran Turismo 5. The setup takes up too much space and the steering wheels start at $150... almost the price of PS3 itself. Premium wheels that have more weight and are life size cost around $300... a hefty price for a controller that will only be used for one game. The best low-end wheel, the Logitech Driving Force GT went on sale a couple of weeks ago at CompUSA though. It went from $150 to $100. I had plenty of Amazon rewards credits too, so I basically got the wheel for free on years of accumulated credits. The rest of the items I already had.


This weekend, I checked out my real car to see where everything was placed. I replicated the setup as best I could, placing the pedals about 2 ft diagonally away from the wheel. I aligned the brake pedal with the center of the wheel. It's funny that we never think about these things while driving. Just placing these items in the right spot made the game easier to control and the driving feel very realistic. The only thing I should fix is the table the wheel is on though. I just put this together with things I already had. So the only table I had of the right height was a laptop stand. It really needs something more stable because the force feedback on the wheel is strong, even on the lowest setting. And of course the sharp turns require big wheel movements.

Other items in this project include a Hannspree 28" monitor and iLive Soundbar. For the monitor, you'd want to stick with something from 28"-32"... not too small and not too large because it's supposed to look like a driver's view of the front window. It should be placed about as far from the wheel as the end of the window on a real car. The soundbar is must for any small LCD just because they need speaker upgrades. If you want to go overboard, then a 5.1 system will make the sounds more realistic.

No comments: