While I was at work yesterday, I already had a feeling we were going to get a snow day. It was fine when I got to work, just a little before 8am. The snow was coming down steadily, but not sticking because it was pretty warm outside. By 10am, I saw some o the largest snowflakes ever. The warm temperatures were still holding off accumulation though. It was just a slushy mess. The office closed early, at 3pm, but the additional hour and a half didn't help much as there was a lot of street traffic and train delays. I was originally planning to drop by my apartment to pick up a few things before heading over to Flushing to shovel my parents' house. I changed that plan after having a hard time walking 2 blocks over to the PATH station and just went straight to Flushing. The 7 train was cutoff in Manhattan, so I had to switch to the F, which was delayed. I eventually made it to 74th to connect to the 7 and it was delayed by about 30 minutes! I made it to Flushing at 5pm.
There was about 3 inches of slush on the ground. It was heavy, but because it clumped together, was actually easy to shovel. Snowfall slowed down a little after that and I didn't have to go out again until 10pm. There was an additional 2 inches of light snow then. I went out one more time at 12am to try to lighten the load for the next morning... it gained 3 inches in just 2 hours! I woke up at 6am from the Wiley Inclement Weather alert and went back to sleep until 7am. There was at least 1 foot of snow by then! That was the largest shoveling session of the day. I went out again at 12pm to clean up another inch or two. It still snowed the rest of the day, but enough of the sun's rays were getting through and melting the snow before it could pile up.
I'd say we got a total of 18-20" in Flushing. The report from Central Park was 21" which brought the February total to 37"!
No comments:
Post a Comment