Sunday, April 3, 2011

OS X on Windows 7 Desktop (Part 2)

Intro.
Installing Snow Leopard onto Oracle VirtualBox on Windows 7 was a lot simpler than I though. Originally, I read that you had to install a hacked version of Leopard first. Then use that to install a legit copy of Snow Leopard. It turns out, all I needed was the legit copy.


In the photo above, I have OS X fullscreened on my secondary monitor so I can use both operating systems simultaneously on my Core i7 system.

Materials
- Oracle VirtualBox (I used 4.0.4)
- Snow Leopard 10.6.3 DVD
- iBoot ISO image
- A Mac system or Hackintosh... with a dual layer DVD burner

Instructions
1) Using an actual Mac (any OS X should do... I used 10.4.11 on my Mac mini), convert the Snow Leopard DVD to a .DMG.

2) On the Mac, open up a terminal window and follow these instructions.

3) Moving the .ISO is a problem because it will be over 7.5 GB. Most file systems support up to 2GB. So you'll get an error if you try to transfer to a FAT or NTFS drive. The best way to move it is to burn a UDF DVD DL.

4) Boot the virtual machine (see setup in the previous entry) to the iBoot image. You'll see a boot menu with the iBoot disc.

5) In the virtual machine, swap the iBoot ISO with your Snow Leopard ISO. Hit F5 to refresh and then choose the Snow Leopard ISO.

6) Follow the normal steps to installing Snow Leopard. One bug I ran into was I had to do a full install. When I went to "customize" to remove some languages I wasn't going to use, I got a kernel panic with 17 minutes left. When I left everything, things went perfectly smooth.

7) When that's done, shutdown the virtual machine. Put iBoot back in and startup. From the menu, choose the Snow Leopard installation you just setup. And that's it! You have a basic installation of a working Snow Leopard.

That's where I am now. It can be taken further by installing Chameleon so that you don't have to depend on iBoot each time. So far, everything works except sound. But it's functional and fast.

No comments: