Monday, November 22, 2010

Fatty Crab

Location: 643 Hudson St., New York, NY 10014
Cuisine: Southeast Asian, Fusion
Hours: MON-WED (12pm-12am); THU-FRI (12pm-2am); SAT (11am-2am); SUN (11am-12am)
Phone: (212) 352-3598
Website: www.fattycrab.com
Prices: about $35/person
Credit Cards: All major

Food: 8
Service: 1
Value: 1
Environment: 6

Frequency: Unique

The Thanksgiving celebration from last night continued for some of us as I joined Emily and Cindy for lunch in the city. Emily and I were off, but Cindy was working, so we met near her office around 14th St. & 8th. We talked about it last night and I thought the menu was interesting. They had Singaporean chili crab, which is rare here. They also had sliders... odd for any Asian restaurant.


When we got there, they seated the 3 of us at a table for 2 even though the place was practically empty. The place looked purposely aged for authenticity and they used cheap plastic plates for table setting. If it was Summertime, I bet it would come complete with flies too. From looking at the menu, it was apparent that this restaurant was a fake Asian restaurant trying to rip people off who aren't familiar with the items. The chili crab was $45 because it was off season, so we passed on it. We really wanted to try the sliders, but they ran out. Of all ingredients, how do you run out of sliders? They offer pork buns as an appetizer... 2 pieces for $13! For details on the dishes we ordered, click here.

It's pretty rare for a restaurant to have a good food rating and a very low service rating, but I felt the staff was dishonest and insincerely friendly. They brought out 2 orders of the Watermelon Pickle and Crispy Pork when we only ordered one. That's OK... common mistake. The waiter took it back and mentioned to the person at the register that we only ordered one. Later, when they billed us, they charged for 2. They actually had the nerve to say that we had 2 also. They probably ate the additional order in the back and tried to get a free lunch from us.

Though the food was good overall, the value is among the worst I've had. Just about every item is grossly overpriced and portions are about 1/3-1/2 of what you'd get at a normal Southeast Asian restaurant.

No comments: