Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Google Chrome BETA

Google released Chrome, their new browser today. So I wanted to post my take on it. As usual, they did a lot of research and testing before its release. They must've studied user behaviors in depth because I felt right at home with it even though it has a different look and feel than my default browser, Firefox. I'm not sure if this browser if for everyone though. A power user who knows his/her shortcuts would have an easier time with it because there aren't a lot of menus to navigate with. They concentrated on making a lot of space for the web page itself, only displaying information when needed.

Pros
The look and feel is original and visually appealing. Space for web pages has been maximized and it breaks away from the standard Windows interface. Because of the simplified look, many interface elements perform more than one task. The address bar is also a search bar. The backend is treated as a mini operating system almost, doing an efficient job of dividing processes. If one tab crashes, it doesn't shutdown the entire browser. Tabs can be dragged in and out of windows. Developers need not worry too much about developing for another browser. It uses the same rendering engine as Safari. All of my pages look fine on it and I haven't run across any sites that didn't work yet.

Cons
It still lacks a lot when compared to Firefox, but Google Chrome is still in beta. It can't be customized to the level that Firefox can... no themes or plugins. Nearly all of the "pros" I mentioned can be achieved in Firefox with plugins. Google boasted about performance, but this browser renders images noticeably slower.

Conclusion
Google Chrome is a nice alternative browser and it's better than Internet Explorer, but it has a long way to go before getting me to change my default from Firefox.

Related: About, Comic Book, Download, Video

No comments: